Thursday, February 15, 2007

Hairspray

Last week I went to see the Broadway Musical "Hairspray". I loved it. It was the first time I saw something like that, and was amazed at the quality of the production. The music was great too. The story was about how a Baltimore girl in the 60s who's overweight and has unfashionable hair, or not good looking in the conventional sense, goes on to win a TV dance show, and how that leads her on to another adventure. The characters were all based on stereotypes and might not have made the audience think, but make us laugh they sure did. With a two and a half hour duration, a break between and plenty of song dances, it was more like the films back in India.

2 comments:

mythalez said...

cool .. so u finally saw a play .. good good :)

Balakrishna Chennupati said...

@mythalez,
Yeah it was playing at the auditorium, and when I heard that it had won 8 Tony Awards and realised that I already finished a semester without seeing one of these big events, I could only buy the tickets :).