Friday, September 22, 2006

Weekend Whining

Amartya Sen was at IU yesterday, and he talked about Identity and India. It was the first time I was breathing the same air a Nobel Laureate was breathing. That must do something to me, I guess. He read from a prepared lecture, and inspite of that, it was an entertaining one. When the brightness of the lights in the auditorium was increased, he joked, "I can see now that I am spreading enlightenment". During the QA session, when somebody asked him, if there were any books other than his own he would recommend somebody for getting an understanding of India, he said he didn't see his books in that light, and said he was surprised that his The Argumentative Indian was a bestseller, he then joked that the best complement he ever received for that book was last week, when his publisher Penguin, mailed him telling him that 15,000 pirated copies of that book were seized in Delhi. There were other witty comments spread through his talk.

Technology can fail you in very significant moments, it happened to me twice this week. At Sen's lecture, I wanted to get his picture, but my camera would display "low battery" when I could get a good view of him, and when I did get it to work, he wasn't visible. All I could manage are the photos shown here. On september 21 I wanted to call my mother for her birthday, and knowing that she would leave for college, I rushed home with a calling card and using my friend's phone called home. All I could hear was my father saying hello, when the call ended and a message said all the card's charge was consumed. To think that I had spent 5 dollars on it. The next morning I had my mother call me, so I could wish her. Pathetic.

I've been eating outside these days, as I have little time between group meetings and classes to go home and eat. A chicken sandwich combined with ice cream or a coke has been my staple diet last week. Not bad on the palate, but not too good for my wallet. I got my first cheque for my work as an assistant instructor, two days back. I still need to buy a laptop. I was expecting Apple to release a laptop with the newest Intel chip, but looks like they're going to take their time. I get to access the internet only when at college, and so it's been some time since I had my hellos returned from the other side of the planet.

It's getting cold. I am shivering as I write this, but I need to get used to the current temperature, as I hear that in the winter when it will snow, even with all the layers of clothing, it'll still be as cold as it is now.
It's 9.40 now, I better be heading home for Dinner. Lest you should worry about my wellbeing, I only used whining in the title to sound well with weekend. I am well.

6 comments:

Srujan said...

balakeee,

nice experience anamataa .. nice blogging all these moments and feelings.. `ll definitely leave u lots a memories

mythalez said...

enjoyin ur life eh .. good good ..

Anonymous said...

hello :),
twas nice reading your blog. So you've also been having a hard time with Air India eh? I'd gone to Dammam, Saudi Arabia for a week's vacation ... and my flight back to Calicut was delayed by a whole day, can you believe that? And then my dad said, next time don't travel by Air India, 'I'd stopped travelling by Air India when our baggage got stolen in 1984 and had spent the entire vacation in trying to get the compensation'. They're terrible, aren't they?

lovely reading, keep writing! :)

Simeen

Balakrishna Chennupati said...

@ Srujan
Yeah :), it's been a month and I haven't really had the feeling of being a foreigner here yet :). I just am minding my business but I get to meet a lot of people, and it's nice.

@Rama
Hello! yeah, its good for now. Nee sangatulu nee blog lo chaduvutunnanu :), pics post cheyyi tvaraga.

@Simeen
Hey, thanks for stopping by :). Yeah, not a nice experience. I thought they were good in the past, so they've been keeping up the quality since 1984 :). Good that you got to travel, so is IIMK hectic ?

Sravan said...

Are there any after-effects yet?

"It's too early to say anything. oka iravainAlugu ganTalu gaDistegAni ye viShaymU cheppalemu."

Balakrishna Chennupati said...

@Aravind
Anta dooram vellipoyava :). Yeah, laptop long term investment kada carefulga undali kani ala wait chestu undipotanemo ani bhayam :).
Nee sangatulemiti ra ?

@Sravan
24 hrs gadisayi, I think my hair now looks similiar to his :P.